McDonald’s Employee Privacy Notice
(Applies to U.S. Residents Only)
McDonald’s Corporation, McDonald’s USA, LLC, and their United States subsidiaries and affiliates (“McDonald’s”, “we”, “us” or “our”) are committed to protecting information that we collect from our Employees (as defined below) and use for employment-related purposes, and for the administration of our human resources functions. Moreover, we are mindful of privacy when we handle the personal information of our employees and officers who are residents of the United States and work in the United States (“you” or “Employees”). This Privacy Notice (the “Notice”) describes McDonald’s practices regarding the collection, use, transfer, disclosure and other handling of your personal information. This Notice may be updated from time to time to reflect changes in our personal information practices, and we will post a notice on Campus/Fred, Ourlounge or other McDonald’s internal or external websites to notify you of any significant changes.
This Notice applies to Employees only.
Please note that this Notice does not apply to McDonald’s franchisees/developmental licensees. If you are an employee of a McDonald’s franchisee/developmental licensee, that franchisee/developmental licensee uses your personal information pursuant to its own privacy practices. Please contact your employer to learn more about its privacy practices.
This Notice also does not apply to employees of McDonald’s subsidiaries and affiliates outside the United States. If you are a McDonald’s employee outside the United States and would like to learn more about your employer’s privacy practices, please contact your local Human Resources department. If you are an employee working in Europe, you can also contact your local data protection officer.
- Information we collect
McDonald’s may collect the following categories of personal information about Employees:
(A) Identifiers such as a real name, suffix, alias, postal address, unique identification numbers (e.g., eID, mcID, Employee ID, System ID), online identifier, internet protocol address, email address, account name(s) or handle(s), social security number, driver’s license number, passport number, user names and passwords (whether assigned by McDonald’s or selected by you) and any other similar identifiers.
(B) Additional types of information that may identify, relate to, describe, or be capable of being associated with particular individuals, including, the “identifiers” listed in the preceding bullet point (A), and the following: date of birth, marital status, birth or marriage certificates, nationality, signature, physical characteristics or description (e.g., photographs), address, home and mobile telephone numbers, passport number, driver’s license or state identification card number, vehicle registration and plate information, driving history, education, employment, employment history, bank account information or any other financial information, medical information and health insurance information.
(C) Characteristics of protected classifications under California or federal law, such as race, color, ethnicity, religion, national origin, sex, gender, marital status, medical conditions, disability status, information on physical limitations, special needs and other medical or health-related workplace accommodations, military and/or veteran status, residency, work permit status, age (40 years and older), and where permitted by law and proportionate in view of the function to be carried out by an Employee, the results of credit and criminal background checks, drug and alcohol testing and other screening procedures.
(D) Commercial information, including records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
(E) Biometric information, including fingerprint and fingerprint templates that may be used in connection with securing and providing Employees with access to certain McDonald’s systems and applications.
(F) Internet or other electronic network activity information, including, but not limited to, information regarding and/or collected automatically as part of your interaction with the Systems (as defined below); electronic content produced or received by you using the Systems (including documents, information, and emails and other electronic communications transmitted or received through the use of the Systems); information relating to your accounts held on the Systems, websites, or apps (including account profiles on McDonald’s websites or apps and data stored in relation to such accounts, e.g. rights and privileges, activity, interests, favorites, likes, preferences, or other information that may be associated with your account); and information received by McDonald’s if you sign into the Systems, websites, apps, or accounts using social media or other third-party tools. This also includes voicemails, emails, and other work product correspondence and communications created, stored or transmitted using McDonald’s computers, devices or other communications equipment.
(G) Geolocation data – If you use certain McDonald’s apps or websites, such apps or websites may collect location data.
(H) As permitted by law, audio, electronic, visual, or similar information, such as photographs, and information captured on security systems, including key card or other entry control systems and CCTV systems.
(I) Professional or employment-related information, including:
- Employment history, educational background and status, professional certifications, language capabilities, references, letters of recommendation and interview notes;
- Start date/orientation date, title/position, grade and department/organization, region/location, employment status, work-related contact details, date(s) of promotion, work history, spouses or relatives who may work for McDonald’s and your relationship to them, technical skills, training records and emergency contact information;
- Salary, bonus, long-term incentives and award history;
- Work time and payroll records, sick pay/days, records of work absences, vacation entitlement and requests, performance appraisals and disciplinary and grievance procedures;
- Pensions, investment accounts, insurance and other benefits information (which may include information about your spouse, children and other eligible dependents and beneficiaries);
- Date of hire, date of resignation or termination, reason for resignation or termination and other information relating to termination of employment;
- Information collected in connection with taxation (such as information collected via standard tax forms) and verifying your right to work in the United States;
- Acknowledgements regarding McDonald’s policies, such as our Standards of Business Conduct, as well as information provided pursuant to McDonald’s policies, such as information regarding potential conflicts of interest or similar compliance-related information;
- Information we collect in connection with special offers or promotions that may be available to you by virtue of your employment with McDonald’s, if you elect to purchase or otherwise take advantage of such offers;
- Information we collect, including through third-party suppliers, regarding content and other data posted on the Internet (such as data posted in social media and other public locations on the Internet); and
- Any information needed to comply with McDonald’s policies, EEOC or other reporting, law, court or other governmental requests, or law enforcement authorities.
(J) Education information, defined as information that is not publicly available personally identifiable information as defined in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. Sec. 1232g,; 34 C.F.R. Part 99). This includes details contained in letters of application and resume/CV such as institutions attended and performance.
(K) Inferences drawn from any of the information identified in this subdivision to create a profile about a person reflecting the person’s preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities and aptitudes.
- Purposes for which these categories of information are collected
We may use your information for the following purposes:
To perform our operational purposes as an employer, which includes:
- Staffing and workforce management purposes, including recruitment, onboarding, training and development, scheduling and workforce planning, travel planning and management, vacation management, performance management, fleet management, strategic planning, succession planning and termination;
- Compensation, payroll, tax, insurance, pension and benefit planning and administration;
- Administration and maintenance of our occupational health plans, including work-related injury and illness recording obligations;
- Maintaining or servicing accounts and providing customer service;
- Providing you with access to the Systems, networks and/or applications owned or operated by McDonald’s as may be connected with your employment, as well as operating, analyzing, improving and securing such Systems;
- Aggregated benchmarking, statistical reporting and analytics to (i) manage our workforce and carry out our business operations, (ii) gather demographic information about our employees and (iii) determine how we may better allocate resources and improve our services;
- Short-term, transient use, provided that the personal information is not disclosed to another third party and is not used to build a profile about you or otherwise alter your experience outside the current interaction;
- Monitoring and protecting the security and use of our networks, communications and systems, offices and facilities, reports, property and infrastructure; detecting security incidents, protecting against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, and prosecuting those responsible for that activity; and debugging to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality;
- Ensuring business continuity;
- Undertaking internal research for technological development and demonstration;
- Communicating with Employees, conducting Employee surveys, and other similar HR initiatives, including for measuring Employee engagement; providing reporting channels for Employees including compliance or similar hotlines; and
- Undertaking activities to verify or maintain the quality or safety of a service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by McDonald’s, and to improve, upgrade, or enhance the service or device that is owned, manufactured, manufactured for, or controlled by McDonald’s.
To achieve purposes that have been notified to you or authorized by you, which includes:
- The administration of Employee participation in various programs and services offered to eligible Employees;
- Other activities involving personal information that have been notified to you as required by law.
To comply with legal obligations or in connection with legal claims, which includes:
- Compliance with our policies and legal obligations;
- Dispute and complaint resolution, enabling compliance reporting, internal investigations and reviews, auditing, compliance and risk management;
- Preventing illegal, wrongful or unethical conduct in the conduct of the McDonald’s business; protecting the health and safety of Employees and others; and safeguarding and maintaining the security of our premises, assets and IT systems and infrastructure;
- Compliance with record-keeping and reporting obligations;
- Compliance with a civil, criminal or regulatory inquiry, investigation, subpoena, or summons by federal, state or local authorities;
- Cooperation with law enforcement agencies concerning conduct or activity that may violate federal, state or local law;
- Establishing, exercising or defending against legal claims.
To the extent any envisioned use is inconsistent with or outside of the above contemplated uses in this Notice, we will communicate that to you as required by law.
- Notice of Monitoring of McDonald’s IT Systems
Your job may provide you with access to information technology systems, networks, and/or applications owned or operated by McDonald’s (the “Systems”). Please note that McDonald’s may monitor and record your use of these Systems, including activity you conduct while using the Systems, emails, and other electronic communications sent, received or stored through these Systems, in order to operate the Systems, to evaluate your use of the Systems, for compliance and audit purposes, and to protect against fraud, illegal activity, violation of McDonald’s policies, or misuse of the Systems or McDonald’s information assets or other property. Accordingly, you should not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in connection with your use of the Systems.
- Your obligations
Please help keep your personal information up to date and inform us of any significant changes to your personal information. Further, when handling personal information about others in the course of your employment, you must follow the law and McDonald’s policies, standards and procedures that are brought to your attention. In particular, you must not access or use any such personal information for any purpose other than in connection with, and to the extent necessary for, your work with McDonald’s. Your obligation to keep the personal information of others confidential continues after termination of your relationship with McDonald’s.
- How to contact us
This Notice was last updated on December 16, 2019.